Where to begin?
Grade 12 is a stressful time. Homework becomes more difficult, getting up for
school seems to become harder, and whether you like it or not, you will be faced with the questions “what’s next for you?” It is often hard to know where to begin the process of thinking through what will happen when you graduate. This is why CMU students have thought up some ways to help you make this transition smoother. The hope of this blog is that by the end of the year, you will feel more comfortable and ready to ask yourself these questions with excitement and anticipation.
What is crucial to remember is that this is your future and it begins with you – it’s a journey. A good place to begin is by asking yourself questions that can help you figure out who you want to become and where you want to go.
The following 6 questions aim to help you begin your search for “what’s next”:
- What do you do well? This is a great place to get started when thinking about what to do next. Think about your talents. Ask friends and family members about what they see as your strengths. You might be surprised by what they say.
- Who do you look up to? By looking at someone you admire, whether it’s a celebrity, historical figure, or a personal acquaintance, you can learn a lot about yourself and the things you value. When thinking about these people, ask yourself if those qualities or ways of living are something worth reaching for in your own life.
- What accomplishments have made you most proud? Thinking back to what made you the most proud of yourself can help you discover your values and what might be worth more of your time as you explore options for your future.
- What’s your favourite class? Think about which classes have made you lose track of time and held your interest. It is always easier to do the homework if you actually enjoy what you are learning!
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? Your childhood dreams can point to what’s always been important to you. This can be a helpful indicator of either the school or program you’d like to pursue.
- If you could do any job for a day, what would you do? Think through what’s appealing to you in the work field. Also ask yourself the question: If you could change something about that job, what would it be?
These questions are an excellent jumping off point, as you discover more about yourself and where you want to go. CMU wants to help you learn more about what your goals are in life and the journey you wish to take. We are here to help you search for “what’s next” as you begin that ride.